Price on Application
We recommend customers order +10% over and above requirements to allow for waste on your project. We cannot supply every length defect free.
Stocks are PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification schemes) certified which is a chain of custody system that proves the legality and sustainability of the timber.
this item is no.2 clear & better allowing 15% no.4
no.2 grade allows
three irregularities on face side per 12ft lengths
four irregularities on the reverse face per 12ft length
knots up to ½” on face
knots up to ¾” on reverse face
15% of no.2 grade may contain four irregularities on the face and soft knots
no.4 grade allows
Four irregularities on the face side per 12ft length
Characteristics on the reverse slightly in excess of those allowed on the face
knots : four up to 1” or equivalent eg four 1” or one 4”
resin pockets, splits, checks, warp, wane and worm holes are permitted to some degree.
The lengths we have available are listed in the drop down box to the right and can be selected and ordered online.
Supplied ‘Green’ wet, we recommend drying the timber before installation, if you are using the cedar internally then it will need to be acclimatised for at least a week inside before installation. Cedar dries rapidly once the boards are separated from the pack, they will need warmth and air circulation to dry effectively. Boards should be stacked flat and evenly supported during drying.
Western Red Cedar is sourced from the Pacific Northwest from Northern California to Alaska. This specie is classed as a Softwood but has very good durability due to a natural oil in it making it perfect for exterior applications. The timber machines well is stable and easy to work with.
Ranges from light golden colour to mid to dark brown, some boards have a slight tint of red
Stainless steel nails must be used on Western Red Cedar to stop staining. Use of regular nails will over time result in black streaks running down the timber caused by the iron in the nail reacting with chemicals in the cedar.
Finishing for silvered weathered look
1) Apply Osmo 4001 WR Base Coat clear new wood protector immediately after installation or within the first few days
2) Leave the timber to naturally weather/silver
Finishing maintaining/enhancing colour
Either a. or b. first
a. Sand new timber with 80 grit paper to remove millglaze, clean off dust with Methylated spirits and lint free cloth – surface now ready to oil proceed to step 2.
b. Apply one coat WR base Coat to protect and then leave to season 6 weeks
1) If greyed in the seasoning period clean with Osmo Wood reviver Gel, Wet timber Apply Gel Liberally, scrub in with Osmo cleaning brush, Leave for up to 30 minutes, Scrub the surface a second time, wash off with copious amounts of water, do not pressure wash, leave to dry 48 hours. Please note extreme seasoning may require a second application.
2) Apply Osmo 420 Clear UV Protection Oil two coat application leave drying time 10 - 12 hours between coats.
3) Apply one coat maintenance as needed. This may be more regular in areas open to the elements and full sun.
4) If timber becomes grey repeat from section 1, DO NOT oil over greyed timber.